The site of Trinità dei Monti belongs to the « Pieux établissements de France à Rome et à Lorette”, which are under the tutelage of the French Embassy to the Holy See.
This site on the hill of the Spanish Steps consists of:
- A church and a convent, dated from the 16th century.
- A guest house for pilgrims : Saint Joseph
- An Italian school : « The Sacred Heart Institute » with around 600 students from kindergarten to high school.
- A french kindergarten school : « La petite école »
- The association « Rencontres Romaines » which organizes visits of Rome for French speaking pilgrims and visitors.
In 1494, Saint Francis of Paola, a hermit from Calabria, bought a vineyard from the papal scholar and former patriarch of Aquileia, Ermolao Barbaro, and then obtained the authorization from Pope Alexander VI to establish a monastery for the Minimite Friars. The work start in 1502 and continued throughout the 16th century. The sanctuary was consecrated on the 9th of July 1594, after a century of work.
In 1828, the sanctuary was entrusted to the Sisters of the Sacred Heart, by an agreement between France and the Holy See,. This congregation was founded by Saint Madeleine-Sophie Barat. When they arrived in “Trinity of the Mount” they created the Sacred Heart School.
The Guest house for pilgrims opened its gates in the Jubilee Holy Year in 1975. Since then a lot of groups of French pilgrims and pupils come to find a place to stay in this quiet garden.
After 178 years of the presence of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart, the site was given to the Monastic Fraternities of Jerusalem. The brothers and sisters lived here for 10 years following their founders original charism and mission to live the monastic life downtown.
Finally, in July 2016, the Trinity dei Monti has been entrusted to the Emmanuel Community.
The Emmanuel Community is a Catholic association of the faithful, of Pontifical right, founded in 1976 by Pierre Goursat and Martine Lafitte-Catta, starting from a prayer group, belonging to the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. Today, the Community have around 10.000 members all around the world including 250 priests. See more
It is well known in France thanks to the “summer sessions” in the sanctuary of Paray-le-Monial, in Bourgogne.
The Emmanuel Community is also present in Rome as it coordinates the activities of the Vatican’s International Youth Center, Centro San Lorenzo. This center is situated a few meters from Saint Peter’s Basilica, in which Saint John-Paul II gave the World Youth Day Cross in 1984. The cross is entrusted to San Lorenzo’s church. See more .
Today, 5 priests, 4 sisters, and 2 families live at the Trinita Dei Monti. There is also a “School of Mission” located in the convent of the Trinity dei Monti. This School welcomes students from all around the world for a 10 month residential program in human and spiritual formation. See more